Introduction to artificial intelligence
Artificial intelligence is nothing but a computer program. Using artificial intelligence machines learns from the surrounding and thinks on their own.
It is not like writing a program and getting an output. When it does a work repeatedly, it finds an easier way to complete the work in lesser time. We can say that artificial intelligence are software programs that resembles humans in learning and solving problems.
What is AI?
Artificial intelligence is a branch of computer science that aims to create intelligent machines. These machines are capable for performing tasks that requires human intelligence. AI is focused on following components of intelligence:
- Problem solving
- Using languages
Artificial intelligence is based on studying human behaviour such as how human brain thinks, how humans learn, how humans solve an issue, how they take decisions and so on. This machine can also be called as expert systems.
Hence these systems predict an outcome based on judgement which is collected through sensors and acted upon by effectors. Therefore artificial intelligence has become an essential part of technology industry.
Examples of Artificial Intelligence:
Artificial intelligence is all around as playing an active role in our daily lives. Some of the powerful examples of AI are:
- Manufacturing robots
- Social media monitoring
- Automated financial investing
- Smart assistants
- Proactive health care managements
Download Artificial Intelligence PPT for free:
Artificial intelligence examples in real life:
1. Google’s AI Powered Prediction
By using location data from smart phones traffic at any place and at any time can be found out.
2. Ride sharing apps
Apps like UBER uses AI technique to find out the wait time of the cab after booking, price for the ride etc.
3. Banking/ Finance
Banks offers a ability to deposit checks through smart phones by using AI means. This helps to eliminate the customer to physically present in the branch and deposit the cheque.
Similarly while a customer apply for a loan, customers individual risk assessment is done through it.
4. Social Networking sites
Social sites like Facebook uses AI technique in personalising one’s news feed, Displaying ads relevant to their interest and so on.
5. Online shopping
When we search for a product all the results related to the searched product is displayed on the screen.
6. Smart Phones
Voice to text and Smart personal assistants such as siri and google now are some of the examples that are using AI techniques.
Robots and Applications with AI?
AI and robotics are Powerful combination for automatic tasks. Robots perform their task with the help of humans through machine language which is a part of Artificial intelligence. It helps to increase the learning capability and flexibility. AI helps robots in navigating , sensing and calculating their reactions. Some main applications in robotics where Artificial intelligence is used are
Assembly – It is used in complex manufacturing sectors like aerospace.
Packaging – It helps to reduce the cost, make accurate packing and do the packing quicker.
Customer service – They are employed in customer services in retail stores and in hotels.
Open source robotics – In open source, users can feed the robots with the data of specific task required.
Difference between artificial intelligence and machine learning
In Artificial Intelligence we are able to carry out tasks that are smart. This includes fields such as image processing, neural networks etc., whereas Machine language is a application of AI where data are fed and machine learn by themselves. We can say machine language is the subset of AI. ML is specific and it deals about classification, clustering, prediction etc. but both provides high accuracy.
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning – Courses
Top 10 Reference Books for Artificial Intelligence:
- Artificial Intelligence – A Modern Approach (3rd Edition). By – Stuart Russell and Peter Norvig
- Artificial Intelligence Engines: A Tutorial Introduction to the Mathematics of Deep Learning
- Artificial Intelligence By Example. By – Denis Rothman
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. By – Chandra S.S.V
- Artificial Intelligence Basics: A Non-Technical Introduction. By – Tom Taulli
- Artificial Intelligence: An Essential Beginner’s Guide to AI, Machine Learning, Robotics, The Internet of Things, Neural Networks, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning and Our Future. By – Neil Wilkins
- A First Course in Artificial Intelligence. By – Deepak Khemani
- Applied Artificial Intelligence: A Handbook for Business Leaders. By – Mariya Yao, Adelyn Zhou, Marlene Jia
- Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare. By – Mahajan MD, Parag Suresh
- Life 3.0 Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence. By – Max Tegmark
Advantages and Disadvantages of AI:
- High precision, accuracy, speed.
- Low error compared to humans.
- They can work in tasks that are dangerous to humans.
- They can work 24*7.
- They can be employed in repetitive and boring kind of jobs.
- They are used in day to day applications.
- Since they are replacing humans in many fields there is a chance of huge unemployment.
- Cost of creation is very high.
- If any error occurs it is very difficult to rectify it.
Our intelligence is what makes us human, and AI is an extension of that quality.Yann LeCun Professor, New York University